Tuesday, October 13, 2015

(English) Why am I studying Japanese

Hi, my name is Yucheng. I'm currently in the 2nd year of my Master program at Columbia University, majoring in Modern Chinese History.

Japanese is very helpful for my research, not only because Japan and China had multiple contacts - some peaceful, some not - since 19th century, but also because Japanese scholars have written extensively about Chinese history. It is crucial that I can read Japanese to expand my knowledge base.

In addition, I have always been curious about Japanese culture. I grew up watching Japanese anime where I picked up a few lines. Japanese anime and video games seem to be an interesting mixture of east and west. I'd like to know more, and eventually visit Japan some day.

1 comment:

  1. こんにちは。

    はじめまして、アニー・ウェンです。

    わたしはアメリカじんです。カリフォルニアのサンフランシスコからきました。

    わたしはコロンビアだいがくのにねんせいです。


    どうぞよろしく。


    I am an East Asian Studies major and I am taking Japanese for similar reasons!

    ReplyDelete